Can I appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim?

On Behalf of | May 26, 2022 | Workers' Compensation |

Accidents happen all the time. If you are hurt as a result of a work-related accident, you may be entitled to financial restitution through your employer’s workers’ compensation program. If everything goes right, the compensation award can go a long way in taking care of your treatment costs as well as other expenses whilst you are recovering from your injuries.

However, not all workers’ comp. claims end with compensation. There are times when your claim can be turned down. If this happens, you may consider appealing the decision.

But why would your workers’ compensation claim be denied in the first place?

A workers’ compensation claim can be denied for a number of reasons. Maybe you missed important timelines when reporting the injury and seeking treatment. Or, you did not provide adequate evidence while filing your claim. Still, the insurance company as well as your employer can dispute, and thus deny your claim for no apparent reason.

Your workers’ comp. can also be denied if you do not present the doctor’s report while filing your claim. Without a doctor’s report linking your injury to the workplace, your employer and their insurance company may doubt and dispute your claim altogether.

Whatever the reason for your worker’s comp. denial, it is important to understand that you can always file an appeal.

Appealing your denied workers’ comp. claim

To successfully appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim, it helps to start by understanding why your appeal was denied in the first place. Once you have understood the reasons for the denial of your claim, your legal representative will help you put the right document together for your appeal. These may include a comprehensive doctor report as well as other supporting documentation.

A workers’ compensation claim can make all the difference when you are hurt and, thus, unable to work. Find out how you can safeguard your rights and interests while appealing your workers’ comp. claims.


FindLaw Network