When companies should record workplace injuries

On Behalf of | Mar 12, 2020 | Workers' Compensation |

OSHA generally requires employers in Minnesota and throughout the country to record serious workplace injuries and illnesses on Form 300. Serious injuries are those that require time off from work or for an employee to perform light or restricted duties. An injury could also be considered serious if it requires an individual to be transferred to another job. Finally, if an employee needs medical attention beyond basic first aid after getting hurt, OSHA must typically be notified about that injury.

In some cases, injuries and illnesses must be recorded even if an individual is hurt while working from home. Examples of events that OSHA must be notified of include an employee fainting in an office or getting hurt while on a business trip. Ergonomic injuries could also be subject to recording rules if an employee needs to see a doctor or needs time off after experiencing a muscle strain or tear.

Employers must comply with OSHA reporting requirements regardless of its safety record. In other words, even companies that don’t have a history of serious injuries or illnesses must record any that an employee might experience in the future. If an employer is not sure if an incident should be recorded, it may be a good idea to check with OSHA to determine what the company needs to do.

A person who is hurt at work might be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits regardless of how the injury occurred. Furthermore, he or she may be entitled to benefits even if the injury isn’t recorded on Form 300. An attorney may help a worker who has questions about how to file for benefits or how long it should take to have an application approved or denied. Employers are generally required to process cases in a timely manner.

FindLaw Network