3 kinds of wage-loss benefits: which one am I entitled to?

On Behalf of | Feb 24, 2023 | Workers' Compensation |

Injuries in the workplace are something no one expects. Sadly, it is an occurrence that does happen and when it does, it may leave the injured worker unable to work, either temporarily or permanently. This may cause worries, especially with the financial responsibilities they may have. Fortunately, you may seek wage-loss benefits from your employer if you are eligible.

But which one?

Under Minnesota’s workers’ compensation system, if you cannot work because of your injury or if it prevents you from earning your regular salary, your insurer may have to pay you wage-loss benefits under any of the following:

  1. Temporary total disability (TTD). An employee falls under this type from the first day they cannot work due to the injury. However, the insurer does not start payment until the fourth day. If the injury continues to prevent the worker from working after the 10th day, the insurer must pay the benefits for the first three days, called the waiting period.
  2. Temporary partial disability (TPD). An employee may claim benefits under this category if upon return to work or the start of new work under another employer, the employee earns less because of the injury.
  3. Permanent total disability (PTD). If an individual cannot return to their job or acquire another stable position after the injury, they may be eligible for this benefit.

The amount of benefits may depend on the employee’s pay rate before the injury and as may be determined by law.

Light at the end of the tunnel

Understanding the categories for wage-loss benefits may help ease the worry for injured workers, especially when they are busy focusing on treatment and recovery. With sufficient research and proper guidance, injured employees may be able to receive these benefits.

FindLaw Network